Conference Day One: Tuesday, 24 October 2017
8:30 am - 9:00 am Registration and Welcome Coffee
9:00 am - 9:10 am Opening Remarks from IQPC and the Conference Chair
9:10 am - 9:50 am Investing in an Autostore at “Catch of the Day” to Reduce Labour Costs and Increase Picking SpeedRichard Whetton - Operations Manager CatchOfTheDay
Catch of the Day have invested in an AutoStore where robots retrieve products. From 60 pickers to almost as little as 12, these robots can pick
20 000 orders in a day across 40 000 different products, significantly changing the organisation’s labour costs. This session will explore:
- Identifying the strengths and weaknesses of an automated warehouse.
- Addressing the changes in picking speed.
- Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of automation in terms of e-commerce.
Richard WhettonOperations Manager
9:50 am - 10:30 am Implementing a Holistic Approach to get the Right People, Processes and Technology for an Efficient Warehousing SystemMichael Foreshew - Chief Information Officer Montague
Montague has been constantly undergoing transformation through the upgrading of warehouse management systems. Implementing such systems allows for flexibility and stability, but also allow Montague to handle unpredictable changes in their future operations. In this session, Michael will discuss:
- Understanding how to get the right people, give them the right process, then putting in the right technology.
- An overview of the digital transformation at Montague from top to bottom to deliver better value for the customer.
- Implementing a WMS solution to provide a more efficient, flexible, stable and scalable warehousing system.
Michael ForeshewChief Information Officer
10:30 am - 12:00 am SPEED NETWORKING SESSION
A structured interactive session designed to help you expand your network through one-on-one focused conversations. Bring your business cards!
11:00 am - 12:00 am MORNING TEA AND NETWORKING BREAK
11:30 am - 12:10 pm PANEL DISCUSSION: IoT and Automation: Discussing the Benefits and Affects in Supply Chain and Warehouse/ Distribution Centres
- How can the Internet of Things benefit warehouse productivity and efficiency?
- Methods on analysing data to capture new insights.
- Discussing the disruptors and how they will affect competition.
- Unlocking higher levels of operational efficiency, while creating customised, dynamic, and automated services for customers.
- What will smart warehouses look like in 5 years time?
12:10 pm - 12:50 pm KEYNOTE CASE STUDY: Tripling Productivity and Halving Costs at Booktopia through an Automated DCPhillip Haddad - Chief Operating Officer Booktopia
Since 2014, Booktopia have moved from a low rise to a high rise site which has allowed for a fully automated system. This has seen significant improvements in the cycle rate, improved operational capabilities, a 97% next day shipping rate, an increase in customer satisfaction and supported a 30% growth in the business. This session will explore:
- An overview of the Booktopia automated site including the implementation stages and what this means.
- Insights into the changes in previous manual systems to automated systems, which has increase shipping capabilities from 6000 to 32000 units.
- Addressing the benefits and challenges of having a fully automated system.
- Understanding the impact of moving to an automated system and what this means for staff in terms of training and up skilling.
Phillip HaddadChief Operating Officer
12:50 pm - 1:50 pm NETWORKING LUNCH
1:50 pm - 2:30 pm Predictive Big Data Analytics for Logistics Operations ManagementProfessor Elizabeth Chang - Professor in Logistics and Transportation University New South Wales
Appropriate tools & techniques are needed first to understand the semantics of Big Data, integrate them and apply predictive analytics on it. This session will present big data management and predictive analytics to support decision-making process through cognitive systems; how it can help reduce human menial tasks, and enable higher order functions and strategy making.
- Introducing big data in defence logistics operations.
- Addressing the challenges in the Commercial off the Shelf products to fit for purpose, and emerging technologies that can support capability development.
- Identifying emerging technologies that can support capability development.
- Introducing the integration with civil-military operations, supply chain through SMEs.
Professor Elizabeth ChangProfessor in Logistics and Transportation
University New South Wales
2:30 pm - 3:10 pm To Automate, or Not to Automate – What are the Questions?Simon Bunde - General Manager, Group Operations & Strategy EBOS Group
3:10 pm - 12:00 am AFTERNOON TEA AND NETWORKING BREAK
3:40 pm - 4:40 pm Interactive Discussion Groups
Each IDG is set in a roundtable format. In two rotations, each IDG will last for 30 minutes, allowing delegates to pick the two top of mind topics they wish to discuss and solve.
Table Two3:40 pm - 4:40 pm Smart Strategies for Managing Workforce Productivity and Building an Engaged Culture Debalok Sen - Customer Service, Warehousing & Distribution Manager Bayer HealthCare
Debalok SenCustomer Service, Warehousing & Distribution Manager